Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteBuilding future relationships

Building future relationships

By JARROD POTTER

GROWING up in a safe environment is something many of us take for granted.
But for far too many kids in Victoria that isn’t a choice, as they’re left to seek refuge elsewhere – even if it is on the streets.
Constructing a stable future for Melbourne’s at-risk children inspired Fairhaven Homes to roll up their sleeves and do what they do best – build a house.
There was no downtime over the weekend for the Berwick-based builders as the drills and saws spun all day Saturday to build a house – albeit on a smaller scale – as their custom cubby house will be part of in the Melbourne International Flower and Garden Show’s Cubby House Challenge.
It’s all for charity as every cent raised from the sale of the cubby goes to Kids Under Cover – an organisation that takes an early intervention approach to preventing youth homelessness.
Decked out just like the company’s geometric logo, bidding on the Fairhaven cubby house is expected to start at $6000.
Fairhaven Homes director Rodney Radings was thrilled to see his company get involved with the Cubby House Challenge and everyone at the organisation was ready to get stuck into building the best cubby possible.
“All these guys are giving up their time for homeless kids and the cubby will be auctioned off at the Flower Show with all the proceeds going to charity,” Radings said. “There are about six builders across Melbourne that are doing it.
“We started last week, frame and everything and the cladding went up – internals and there will also be bunks and a kitchen.”
It’s not just the cubby for Kids Under Cover though, as there are many charitable partnerships Fairhaven Homes wants to help build over the years.
“For Fairhaven obviously it’s a good cause with Kids Under Cover … we give to the Peter MacCallum Institute, give to all the local football clubs and we’re involved in quite a bit,” Radings said.
“As the business grows we want to be involved in a lot more of that local stuff as well.”
Fairhaven Homes wanted to thank its local partners and sponsors who donated their time and resources to help construct the cubby.
For more information on donating to Kids Under Cover or seeing the Cubby House Challenge, visit the website www.cubbyhousechallenge.org.au.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Council joins local government rubbish rebellion by delaying introduction of $3...

Cardinia Shire Council continues to delay its implementation of the new purple bin, joining a local government pushback against the glass waste service, which...
More News

Critical nursery in need of a home

A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the region’s unique...

Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for the...

Experience the magic of working dogs

The Berwick Show proudly welcomes Jack Briscoe and his extraordinary team of working dogs! Watch in awe as Jack demonstrates their skill, agility, and...

Planning Amendment approved despite fears it could hurt Cardinia farmers

Cardinia Shire Council has fast-tracked a planning scheme amendment to fix errors and update zoning rules, but some councillors warn the changes could add...

Council demands answers over stalled fire escape bridge near Gembrook

Cardinia Shire councillors have united to demand urgent repairs to a closed bridge near Gembrook, warning the prolonged delay could put lives at risk...

Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The...

Galloping into a New Year with style

Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More than 80...

No prosecutions over forklift driver’s

A state coroner has found the death of a Kooweerup man operating a failing forklift in Dandenong South in 2022 was “preventable”, yet there...

Viral bus stop shame

A viral image from Officer, has put a spotlight on the strain facing Australia’s rapidly growing suburbs. The image, published on Reddit, shows a group...

Showtime this weekend

Anticipation is mounting across the South East as the much-loved Berwick Show prepares to return to Akoonah Park this weekend, promising a full day...