Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteCoach House stand

Coach House stand

By Paul Dunlop
CARDINIA Council has called on the state planning tribunal to step in and order the restoration of the old Coach House at Beaconsfield.
Amid fears in the community that the heritagelisted house had been allowed to deteriorate and could even be demolished, councillors on Monday resolved to take the issue to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.
Council wants VCAT to order the developer, who owns the land, to act immediately to restore the building.
Councillors said the developer had given an undertaking when an 11lot subdivision on the land was approved in 2003 that the coach house would be retained and preserved.
Central Ward councillor Bill Ronald said council had no option but to go to VCAT in a bid to “force the developer to comply”.
“It’s a shameful situation. We cannot be seen to allow this sort of neglect of our history,” he said.
The unanimous decision to seek VCAT’s intervention came as Casey Cardinia branch of the National Trust and Beaconsfield Progress Association lodged a petition with council calling for the coach house to be saved.
Residents gathered last week to call for the house to be restored with about 50 people at a public meeting.
Almost 280 people signed the petition.
Once used in the 1900s as a laundry for the nearby Berry Street Foundling Home, the Coach House’s future has been an issue of concern in the community since it was revealed late last year that a permit had been sought to have it demolished.
The building has been repeatedly vandalised in recent times and there are fears it may soon be beyond repair.
Cr Brett Owen said there was considerable support in the community for the retention and restoration of the coach house.
Council has taken legal advice to assess its ability to force the developer to restore the building.
Cr Ronald said the developer told council in 2002 that the Coach House would be restored.
He said it was vital that heritage buildings in the shire were protected.
“It is distressing to me that a significant number of buildings have been demolished, relocated or destroyed beyond repair over the years,” Cr Ronald said.
Cardinia mayor Kate Lempriere said council’s local laws officers had stepped up patrols of the area in a bid to deter further vandalism to the historic site.
Pakenham Senior Sergeant Trevor Teer any residents who saw suspicious activity on the property should contact police.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Former detectives warn of bikie gangs ‘intimidation tactic’

Empty streets caused by Big Build works are turning parts of southeast into a “playground” for criminals, former detectives and local businesses warn. Businesses have...
More News

Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months. Earlier this...

People in Profile: Made of the right stuff

“She is the toughest woman I know - she’s tough.” The thoughts of her daughter Corinne ring true after meeting 96-year-old Marg Andrews,...

Another successful fest of Upper Beaconsfield

The Upper Beaconsfield Village Festival celebrated another year of community spirit and friendly competition. Held in perfect sunny weather on Sunday, the festival transformed the...

Cockatoo ground lights up

Mountain Road Recreation Reserve in Cockatoo celebrated its bright future with the completion of its new 100lux LED lighting upgrade on Tuesday morning, 11...

Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with...

PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He...

Pakenham Senior Citizens welcome Chinese New Year

Pakenham has welcomed Chinese New Year, with initial celebrations beginning at the senior citizens club, where a special talk was held about the festive...

Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of...

No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous...

CFA’s Good Friday appeal hits 75 years

CFA’s long and proud history of involvement with the Good Friday Appeal will reach a remarkable 75 years this year, while the Appeal will...