Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteSexpansion bid goes to planning appeal

Sexpansion bid goes to planning appeal

By Paul Dunlop
A BID to open another sex shop in Pakenham is headed for the state planning tribunal.
Sextastic Adult Variety Stores has lodged an application for review with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) against Cardinia Shire Council’s refusal to grant a planning permit for a shop in Michael Street.
Councillors said the proposal was too close to future residential development.
But Sextastic managing director Jodie Gowans said she was disappointed with the council’s attitude.
“We did everything asked of us by council regarding a suitable site that meets the planning criteria,” Mrs Gowans said.
“The community support has been fantastic and we have built up a very strong customer base from Pakenham over the past three years.”
Mrs Gowans said Sextastic had been successful at VCAT in the past with its Hallam store fighting the City of Casey in 2002.
She said Sextastic had plans to expand throughout Australia and New Zealand, and Pakenham was the first step in the “battle of expansion”.
When the council refused a permit at a meeting in July, a town planners’ report said the Sextastic proposal generally complied with planning regulations but land about 180 metres to the north was identified for future housing.
An adult bookshop is not allowed within 200 metres of a residential area.
Councillors agreed with officers’ recommendation that the application be refused.
“This is totally inappropriate for this area of Pakenham,” Cr Brett Owen said.
“We need to look to the future and consider what is proposed very close to this business.”
Cr Ed Chatwin also voted against the application on moral grounds. He said adult bookshops went “to the dark side of the human psyche”.
“I find it objectionable and I object,” Cr Chatwin said.
VCAT will hear the application for review in the next few months.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Former detectives warn of bikie gangs ‘intimidation tactic’

Empty streets caused by Big Build works are turning parts of southeast into a “playground” for criminals, former detectives and local businesses warn. Businesses have...
More News

Q&A with beekeeper Alice Lin

What inspired you to start beekeeping, and how long have you been doing it? I’ve only been learning beekeeping for a few months. Earlier this...

People in Profile: Made of the right stuff

“She is the toughest woman I know - she’s tough.” The thoughts of her daughter Corinne ring true after meeting 96-year-old Marg Andrews,...

Another successful fest of Upper Beaconsfield

The Upper Beaconsfield Village Festival celebrated another year of community spirit and friendly competition. Held in perfect sunny weather on Sunday, the festival transformed the...

Cockatoo ground lights up

Mountain Road Recreation Reserve in Cockatoo celebrated its bright future with the completion of its new 100lux LED lighting upgrade on Tuesday morning, 11...

Local university launches new initiative to provide free professional attire for students

As cost of living increasingly becomes a barrier for many tertiary students, a local Casey university is taking matters into their own hands with...

PM celebrates Ramadan Night Market

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has helped launch Dandenong’s Ramadan Night Market for its second year, marking the beginning of the holy month of Ramadan. He...

Pakenham Senior Citizens welcome Chinese New Year

Pakenham has welcomed Chinese New Year, with initial celebrations beginning at the senior citizens club, where a special talk was held about the festive...

Women Making It Work marks 20 years with book launch

Women Making It Work (WMIW), a grassroots network supporting women in business across Casey and Cardinia, marked its 20th anniversary with the launch of...

No bad blood for local MP dumped from shadow ministry

Local MP Jason Wood has been dumped from the new shadow ministry as Angus Taylor takes the reins of the party in a tumultuous...

CFA’s Good Friday appeal hits 75 years

CFA’s long and proud history of involvement with the Good Friday Appeal will reach a remarkable 75 years this year, while the Appeal will...