Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteTribunal to

Tribunal to

By Paul Dunlop
CONTROVERSIAL plans for a major commercial development at Emerald have been opposed by Cardinia Shire Council — but it is the state planning tribunal that will have the final say.
Councillors last week voted unanimously not to support a bid to construct a multistorey office, entertainment and accommodation complex on land on the BelgraveGembrook Road.
The development, including offices, a medical centre, licensed food and drink premises and serviced apartments, has been proposed for a 2807sqm site about 500 metres from the township.
Councillors said the proposal was a gross overdevelopment of the site.
But their stance may yet be overturned at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal where an appeal has already been lodged by applicants Elevation Investment Pty Ltd.
VCAT will hear the appeal early in the new year.
Developers say the proposal will strengthen the economic base of Emerald and help ‘link’ the two commercial districts of the town.
But more than 50 people lodged objections when the plans were recently advertised.
Ranges Ward councillor Ed Chatwin said the proposed development had been met with concern, with almost 200 residents attending public meetings to discuss its impact on the town.
“It’s fair to say the community is suspicious about this proposal,” Cr Chatwin said.
Cr Chatwin and Ranges Ward colleague Graeme Legge led council’s opposition when the issue was discussed at council’s 11 December meeting, supporting the recommendation of town planners.
Councillors declared the proposal inappropriate on several fronts, including its size, its impact on neighbouring properties and the problems they said it posed in terms of carparking and access and the future planning of the area.
Council’s message was that the development was far too big for an area regarded as a gateway to the town.
“I do not object to an owner developing his property — that is a fundamental right — but it should not be at the disadvantage of neighbours,” Cr Chatwin said.
“This is a gross overdevelopment. It has little to commend it.”
Cr Legge said that although the proposal generally complied with planning guidelines, there was “too much of it”.
“Too much building, too much bulk, it would certainly cause unreasonable detriment to residents,” he said.
Cr Legge said while six people had written letters to council supporting the development, there were 58 submissions against it.
Cr Legge said most residents were not opposed to some development of the site but believed the proposal as it stood was too big.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Former Casey Mayor diagnosed with MND

Ex two-time Casey Mayor and VFL footballer Geoff Ablett has been diagnosed with Motor Neurone Disease (MND), prompting his family to launch a fundraising...
More News

State Government promises new emergency facilities for Casey Hospital

With the official plans for the expansion of Casey’s emergency department debuted, the state government is progressing on its $280 million project, with Icon...

Aged care security breached

Millhaven Lodge, a residential aged care facility in Pakenham, has updated security codes and restricted access points after a series of breaches that compromised...

Garlic Festival showcase

The South Gippsland Garlic Festival - Victoria’s biggest celebration of Australian garlic - is back for its second year at Korumburra Showgrounds on Saturday...

Parks Victoria launches major statewide recruitment drive

The search is on for Victoria's next generation of rangers, with outdoor enthusiasts encouraged to apply for one of 62 new roles across the...

2026 duck season bag limit

The Victorian Government has set a daily bag limit of nine ducks per hunter for the 2026 duck hunting season. The season length, as set...

Volunteers transform historic grounds

Around 30 volunteers rolled up their sleeves on Wednesday, 28 January, for the 61st Annual Berwick Cemetery Clean Up. Rotarians, Berwick and Harkaway Cemetery...

Calls for more foster parents as crisis mounts in Victoria

Lynn, a Casey local, stumbled on a television commercial about foster care at 65 years old, peaking her interest, the Tongan-born mother of five,...

Children’s ‘innocent’ ribbons and signs vandalised at Berwick Springs Lake

Ribbons made by children at Berwick Springs Lake, now named Guru Nanak Lake, were vandalised earlier this year promoting disappointment from a community group. Children’s ribbons...

Fourth attack in weeks rocks Heritage Church

Still reeling from earlier vandalism and attempted break-ins, Lang Lang’s St John’s Anglican Church has been hit for a fourth time, despite increased patrols. It...

People in Profile: Ensuring days end with a smile

From Officer City Soccer Club to Yakkerboo, Pakenham’s Brijal Parikh does it all, and he does it just to put smiles on faces. Gazette...