Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteAnzac march driver fined

Anzac march driver fined

BUNYIP man Russell Hughes has escaped jail after pleading guilty to driving a World War II truck into a group of Sri Lankan veterans marching on Anzac Day last year.
The 65-year-old was convicted on three charges of dangerous driving causing injury when he faced Melbourne Magistates’ Court on Monday.
Magistrate Peter Lauritsen fined Mr Hughes $4500 and cancelled his driver’s licence for 18 months.
The incident occurred when the vintage truck, which had been driven by Mr Hughes in 11 previous parades, lurched forward along St Kilda Road before ploughing into eight marchers, two of whom were critically injured.
Speaking outside court, Mr Hughes said he was relieved that the accident victims, some of whom he had kept in touch with, had not been more seriously injured.
“This accident shows how things can go terribly wrong if you have a lapse of concentration,” he said.
“It could have been so much worse and I’m greatly relieved that the injured members of the Ceylon Ex-Servicemen’s Association have all recovered, albeit with a few aches and pains.”
The court had heard that Mr Hughes had been using both hands to photograph the parade in the moments before the vintage Chevrolet truck struck the marchers.
Mr Hughes’s lawyer told the court that his client was an otherwise blameless individual and a shy and private man who was respected in his community.
His sincere remorse for his actions was noted by the magistrate.

Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

Council joins local government rubbish rebellion by delaying introduction of $3...

Cardinia Shire Council continues to delay its implementation of the new purple bin, joining a local government pushback against the glass waste service, which...
More News

Critical nursery in need of a home

A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the region’s unique...

Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for the...

Experience the magic of working dogs

The Berwick Show proudly welcomes Jack Briscoe and his extraordinary team of working dogs! Watch in awe as Jack demonstrates their skill, agility, and...

Planning Amendment approved despite fears it could hurt Cardinia farmers

Cardinia Shire Council has fast-tracked a planning scheme amendment to fix errors and update zoning rules, but some councillors warn the changes could add...

Council demands answers over stalled fire escape bridge near Gembrook

Cardinia Shire councillors have united to demand urgent repairs to a closed bridge near Gembrook, warning the prolonged delay could put lives at risk...

Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The...

Galloping into a New Year with style

Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More than 80...

No prosecutions over forklift driver’s

A state coroner has found the death of a Kooweerup man operating a failing forklift in Dandenong South in 2022 was “preventable”, yet there...

Viral bus stop shame

A viral image from Officer, has put a spotlight on the strain facing Australia’s rapidly growing suburbs. The image, published on Reddit, shows a group...

Showtime this weekend

Anticipation is mounting across the South East as the much-loved Berwick Show prepares to return to Akoonah Park this weekend, promising a full day...