Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER

Get the latest news to your email inbox FREE!

REGISTER
HomeGazetteGirl attack dog put down

Girl attack dog put down

By Melissa Meehan

THE dog that mauled a four-year-old Pakenham girl last week has been put down after it was assessed by vets.
The Rhodesian ridgeback was owned by a family friend of the girl and was staying at their Ryan Road property.
It is believed to have somehow escaped the enclosure it was being contained in with a number of other dogs before attacking the girl on Tuesday night last week.
Four-year-old Katie was flown to the Royal Childrens Hospital with serious head injuries after she was set upon by the unregistered six-month old pup.
She was out of surgery and expected to make a full recovery on Wednesday afternoon when stepdad Dale Morrison spoke to the Gazette.
The girl’s step father says he doesn’t hold a grudge against its owner.
“Obviously it’s been a tough time for us,” Mr Morrison said.
“But I would like to clear up that it was a friend’s dog.
“Our friend visits and stays with us on a regular basis and brings the dog – we weren’t looking after it.”
He also hit back at claims that the dog was allowed to roam free in their backyard.
“The dog got out,” he said.
“We still don’t know how, but he was locked up in the backyard with the rest of the dogs, and Katie was coming into the house for dinner when she was attacked.”
Mr Morrison said Katie’s family held no grudges against the owner of the dog.
“It is not his fault, it’s the dog’s fault,” he said.
Advanced paramedics arrived at the Ryan Road property not long before 7.30pm to find the girl conscious, very distressed and being comforted by her mother.
“We administered pain relief through a nasal inhaler before intensive care paramedics put a drip in her arm and gave her stronger pain relief which made her more comfortable,” advanced life support paramedic Mike Jevons said.
“She was flown to the Royal Childrens Hospital in a serious condition.”
Cardinia Shire Rangers were called to remove the dog from the Ryan Road property about 8.30pm to find paramedics, police and the air ambulance already there.
Last week the council’s compliance services manager Alan Giachin said the council took dog attacks seriously and that the animal was being held at a pound in Cranbourne until it was assessed by a vet.
On Monday the council confirmed the dog had been euthanised.
Shire spokesman Paul Dunlop said the dog, believed to be a Rhodesian ridgeback, was not a common breed.
This is the first dog attack in the shire in 2012, following more than 100 attacks in 2011 – as a result of these attacks, nine dogs were destroyed.
Rhodesian ridgebacks, originally from southern Africa, were bred to hunt lions and other game.

Previous article
Next article
Digital Edition
Subscribe

Get an all ACCESS PASS to the News and your Digital Edition with an online subscription

More News

Road to 2026: conversation with Casey Mayor on State Election advocacy

With the State Election looming, Casey Council is ramping up a transport-focused advocacy campaign, pushing major projects including the Clyde rail extension, Thompsons Road...

Critical nursery in need of a home

A volunteer nursery helping to propagate the South East’s disappearing flora is now itself under threat. Greenlink Sandbelt Nursery has been supplying the region’s unique...

Sign of the times: Record crowd expected at Bring Your Bills

February is piling up with credit card debt, back-to-school bills and higher interest rates – so the time is more than ripe for the...

Experience the magic of working dogs

The Berwick Show proudly welcomes Jack Briscoe and his extraordinary team of working dogs! Watch in awe as Jack demonstrates their skill, agility, and...

Planning Amendment approved despite fears it could hurt Cardinia farmers

Cardinia Shire Council has fast-tracked a planning scheme amendment to fix errors and update zoning rules, but some councillors warn the changes could add...

Council demands answers over stalled fire escape bridge near Gembrook

Cardinia Shire councillors have united to demand urgent repairs to a closed bridge near Gembrook, warning the prolonged delay could put lives at risk...

Alleged car thief faces 60-plus charges

An alleged serial car thief has been charged after using electronic key reprogramming devices to steal at least 25 cars across Melbourne, police say. The...

Galloping into a New Year with style

Under a blazing blue sky, thousands of revellers celebrated the Year of the Horse at the annual Springvale Lunar New Year festival. More than 80...

No prosecutions over forklift driver’s

A state coroner has found the death of a Kooweerup man operating a failing forklift in Dandenong South in 2022 was “preventable”, yet there...

Viral bus stop shame

A viral image from Officer, has put a spotlight on the strain facing Australia’s rapidly growing suburbs. The image, published on Reddit, shows a group...